Skip to main content

The Quintessential Question & Answer

*This is something my mind created for the sole purpose of examining why man is the way he is*
The Quintessential Question & Answer
What if I told you that time was immeasurable?
Sure we can count the times the sun loops around the sky, but what is time without change.
If everything remained the exact same no matter how many times the sun came or went, would time still be measurable? Or would we modify it based upon when something occurred. For instance, when the dinosaurs went extinct, when Jesus rose from the dead, these are all occurrences we try to measure with time but without them they are just moments when the sun was either shining or darkness fell.
When events occur, we tend to try and put some sort of measurement on them based upon time. It gives some relevance to things, but without time things tend to just get lost or jumbled up. This story is about one of those moments, lost in a period where time was immeasurable.
I was stuck in an unfamiliar place where the sun stood still for an unexplainable amount of time. When I slept, I had no way of knowing how long it had been. Imagine waiting for events to unfold before you, yet nothing ever coming about. If this does not intrigue you, well it should. Time without measure is not time at all, it is simply just existence.
The one thing I knew for sure was that I was in the present. I had forgotten most of my past and no idea about my future. I was certain I would soon go mad, and so I did. We humans are such simple creatures, always dictated by a schedule. When to eat, when to sleep, when to wake up, are all decisions that our mind makes. But if you are stuck in a fragment or glitch in which no events occur, then your body will tell you nothing.
It wasn’t before long that I began pondering how I got here. Perhaps it was due to an information overload, I tried to do too many things at once and I finally broke, or perhaps it was something much simpler. Regardless of how it came to be, I was stuck in the predicament of what seemed to be eternal nothingness and I intended to escape.
So I thought of every memory I could, dating all the way back to childhood. If the present held no answers, then maybe the past would. I relived every moment I possibly could, eventually narrowing it down to every detail my mind could muster. Most memories of which were just my brain filling in the blanks, but still it brought me a sense of joy.
After living inside my mind for as long as I could bare, I decided it best to move on. I explored my surroundings only to find pure emptiness. A void if you will, devote of anything substantial. I could not find food, nor did I feel the urge to. I could not find anything of value, in fact the only thing that surrounded me was the sand between my toes. Walking for miles upon miles did no good, but then again miles were just a sense of measurement man created to examine the distance between objects. Could land without objects really even be measured?
Questioning things such as this allowed me to dive into the true purpose of its creation and in doing so the nature of man. It was after answering all the questions inside my head that I could, that I finally came to the conclusion of where I was.
Purgatory.
Which in turn raised one final question, the afterlife. If this was in fact where I was, then how could I get out. Did I even want to get out? The purpose of a purgatory as man believed it to be was to hold the soul somewhere until it was ready to move on. I accepted this to be true, but in doing so damned myself. I searched deep within my soul trying to find what was holding me back, and even thought of this being afterlife itself. If this were true then there was no moving on.
As I asked myself more questions I found that my mind would eventually rationalize an answer. Reality is what our minds make of it and so I decided to make my own. I named this purgatory of mine. Not heaven, nor hell, but something I could relate to: Earth. I named it Earth not due to lack of imagination, but because I wanted it to be Earth.
I wanted it to be Earth so badly that I began imagining objects, different things to occupy my mind. In doing so I knew it only worsened my madness, but it also brought me enjoyment. Picturing a palm tree where grains of sand were in front of me, and on my sides. No single flake of sand was different, and yet my mind was powerful enough to create items in unique places. I pretended to walk through forests of trees and bushes, creating an environment around me. Closing my eyes helped, as all I saw was sun and sand around me anyways. It was at this moment through mad tranquility that it hit me.
The quintessential question of why man was the way he was had finally been answered. Purpose. A man without purpose is no longer a man, and without an earth to live in, neither was I. I was just another soul, lost in the deserts of time and I had accepted that much.
As soon as this epiphany occurred, I woke up. I woke up to a time and place I long thought forgotten, and so it dawned upon me to write this. Not as a warning, but as a gift so that man may know the truth that is to come. Everything is what you make of it, so make damn sure you have a creative mind. Man has created tools since the beginning in order to serve a purpose. Time is just a measurement that serves a purpose, but as I stand before you today, eternal peace can be bestowed upon you so long as you serve your purpose. Go out and be the best you that you can possibly be, both physically and mentally, and in doing so you shall serve the Lord, amen. So be it, and let it be so. 
~C. J. Strong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating Fiction Part 2

Creating Fiction Part 2           Creating something that really comes alive can be difficult. Once you've finished the first five steps, you should move on to these in better detail. Step 6: Plot: The plot as we all know is how exactly the story goes. What struggles are going to take place, when and how they are resolved, and the overall lesson of the story. Remember that all of this centers around your protagonist as well as antagonist so develop them well. This draws a lot on the 4th step of creating characters, so make sure you choose who is going to be what early on. You could have countless 'bad' guys and many supporting characters, but the plot has to be driven by someone or something. This also ties in to choosing whether you write in 1st or 3rd person. Step 7: Start Writing: Not all authors begin writing immediately, but once you have the general ideas down you will be anxious to get started so why not give it a go. Just know that no matter how great y

Creating Fiction Part 1

Creating Fiction Part 1           Hello everyone! Today I'd like to take a moment to break down how I come up with the things that I do. Every author has different ways, and each of them are unique and interesting. Step 1:   Pick a Genre.  This may seem obvious to most, but as soon as the ideas start swimming in your head, narrow them down to a few choices. You can always decide on this later, but the sooner you get it out of the way then the sooner you can get to the real fun which is writing. If you have a lot of ideas about space then choose Sci-Fi, if you want to create an entirely new world then maybe Fantasy would be best. The internet is your friend, so feel free to do your research as you go along. Step 2: Choose an Audience.  Ultimately if you are writing to be successful or for profit, then you definitely want to cater to a specific demographic. You won't want to target an audience of children if your book is going to be a 300 page novel about war. If howev

The Ultimate Thrill (Short Story)

The Ultimate Thrill By C. J. Strong           Carvin North was a teen with little to no self-worth. He had lost half of his right leg the year before due to frostbite, and had to have it replaced with a prosthetic. Still, he didn’t see himself as a victim though, after all it was his stupid choice to stay out for too long.           It was in the middle of winter, and he decided to do it. As a member of the North family, he felt obligated to do so. After all, it was a trek that every male in his family had taken for generations; a passage into manhood if you will. The goal was to leave without any supplies at all, and climb to the top of the Grilda Summit. Now, for any normal healthy adult, this wouldn’t be so bad. For Carvin, it was quite the task.           He left his house with only a jacket and cane. He failed to mention to his parents that today was going to be the day, though they had a good idea that he would eventually go. Once that front door closed behind him, he