Skip to main content

The Journey Thus Far (Month 1)

The Journey Thus Far (Month 1)

          This blog is many things to me; a way to communicate with an audience, a way to share my writings, and a way to help build a fan base, but most importantly I want to use it to document my journey. Because I am unable to post to my blog every day, I want to emphasize quality over quantity. I had no idea when I first started that author's had to do so many other things besides just writing. Here is an up-to-date list of what has gone on so far:

          I started writing a fictional novel one month ago (approx. 5/15/17). I planned it out for a few days and did some research, jotted down some ideas, and then started writing a story. Since then, I have learned so much about how dialogue works, narration, Point of View, and several other things. I am now nearing completion of my first draft just a month after starting. Tales of Grandeur: Heroes Rise and Fall will be about 200 pages and 50,000 words.

          I created a FaceBook author's page, twitter account, and blog the beginning of this month (approx. 6/1/17). After writing about half of my book, I took a short break to research how to promote yourself. I've always had aspirations of becoming an entrepreneur, but never liked taking too many risks. In order to actually sell a book at all and share my story with others, I would have to let others know that it actually existed. So I decided to do what most successful writers do and create a blog. On top of this, I created social media pages in order to promote this blog as well as my upcoming book. Nobody likes constant promotion of products in their face, that can get annoying fast, so I try not to advertise very much. I try to stay active on both social media and here every single day, and because of that my fan base is growing.

          I started looking into Publishing vs Self-Publishing about a week ago (6/8/17). After reading all about building a community around yourself, I turned my focus to how to get published. There are two ways of doing this, the traditional publishing way where you format your manuscript once its finished and mail it in to different major companies, and wait to hear back. Each publishing company is different, some may require your manuscript to be a certain way, and others may say that you can only send it to them and no one else. On top of this, it could take months, and then they could just send you a rejection letter. The printing and shipping costs alone deterred me a bit from doing this but I researched further because of how determined I am to get published. Then, I stumbled upon the magics of self-publishing. Self-publishing definitely isn't for everyone, but if you're trying to get your foot in the door then it is a start. If you are an unknown and unproven author, the chances of a traditional publishing company picking you up is slim. Self-Publishing instead puts the weight of the world on your shoulders where you take charge of everything. You still have to buy a cover designer and get an editor, as well as promote the hell out of your book, but who said any of this was going to be easy. I'm trying not to name drop much here, but Amazon has an amazing selection of self-published books. Because of it's Kindle deals, you can format your entire finished product within hours and send it off into the world.

          Crowdfunding: GoFundMe and KickStarter. Getting a good editor and cover can cost a pretty penny. I know my future bill is projected to be over $1,000 dollars! But with the advances of the internet, I don't have to take a huge chance like that alone. I recently looked into crowdfunding, as well as asked my social media community about it to see if any of them would back me. I've had mixed results so far, but it has been an amazing experience. I started by researching which would be best for my book, and after learning about all the royalties they take out and yatta yatta yatta, I decided to just try each of them. I created a GoFundMe within an hour, but once I did I realized how limited it was. Sure I could beg for money and probably raise it on GoFundMe, but there just wasn't anything I could offer the community back besides my finished book (which who knows how long that'll take). So I decided to go with KickStarter. Now I should mention that Publishizer.com is another option, but I had already decided to self-publish by this point so that was a no go. It did however give me a lot of incentive to make my book the best self-published book it can be, because I took a look at some of the competition. Anyways, back to KickStarter. Since I wasn't even finished with my first draft at the time, it felt weird creating something for it. However, KS was incredibly easy to use and I already had a ton of ideas, including rewards for those who backed me. After going through the entire process and determining approx. how much money to ask, I hesitated before publishing it. Do I have enough social media backing to pull this thing off? The answer is probably not. I was only asking for about 500 bucks, which I low balled because KS is an all or nothing platform. BUT, even if I got 600 dollars worth of contribution, it still wouldn't have been enough. I was so eager to get started that I was setting myself up for failure and I knew it. So I backtracked on my statements about KickStarter and am now holding off until I have a better understanding on when everything will be done and how it will be done.

This concludes my first months update on what has been going on! Please comment bellow if you have any questions or suggestions for me :)

By C. J. Strong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating Fiction Part 2

Creating Fiction Part 2           Creating something that really comes alive can be difficult. Once you've finished the first five steps, you should move on to these in better detail. Step 6: Plot: The plot as we all know is how exactly the story goes. What struggles are going to take place, when and how they are resolved, and the overall lesson of the story. Remember that all of this centers around your protagonist as well as antagonist so develop them well. This draws a lot on the 4th step of creating characters, so make sure you choose who is going to be what early on. You could have countless 'bad' guys and many supporting characters, but the plot has to be driven by someone or something. This also ties in to choosing whether you write in 1st or 3rd person. Step 7: Start Writing: Not all authors begin writing immediately, but once you have the general ideas down you will be anxious to get started so why not give it a go. Just know that no matter how great y

Creating Fiction Part 1

Creating Fiction Part 1           Hello everyone! Today I'd like to take a moment to break down how I come up with the things that I do. Every author has different ways, and each of them are unique and interesting. Step 1:   Pick a Genre.  This may seem obvious to most, but as soon as the ideas start swimming in your head, narrow them down to a few choices. You can always decide on this later, but the sooner you get it out of the way then the sooner you can get to the real fun which is writing. If you have a lot of ideas about space then choose Sci-Fi, if you want to create an entirely new world then maybe Fantasy would be best. The internet is your friend, so feel free to do your research as you go along. Step 2: Choose an Audience.  Ultimately if you are writing to be successful or for profit, then you definitely want to cater to a specific demographic. You won't want to target an audience of children if your book is going to be a 300 page novel about war. If howev

Travesty a its Finest (poem)

Travesty at its Finest By C. J. Strong His name was Travis, and he was an alcoholic He loved to bowl, and drinking gave him an edge His passion for the sport was unparalleled, and he was very good He could have gone to the Olympics, but drinking was his best sport His frame of drinking and bowling slowly came to an end He had wasted most of his life as a could-have-been He watched on as friends and teammates became famous He decided that enough was enough, and he quit cold turkey His life finally started to turn around, and he started to compete again His bowling prowess and untapped potential was unlike anyone else His technique helped him win several perfect games He decided to make one last go of it, and so he did His shot back to the top, and he was off to the Olympics He was finally fulfilling his dreams, that is until an old friend came back into his life His alcoholism was back, and back to the gutter he went He only took one shot of